So you might have noticed quite a smoothie trend over the summer – whether they’re fruity, creamy, healthy or full of calories, everyone seems to love them. They’re fun to make, taste amazing and are a fabulous homemade substitute for shop bought ice cream or sugary slushies – so have a look at our recipes below – this is one of the occasions where you SHOULD definitely try this at home!
In the current edition of ‘Real Recipes’ we talk smoothies
The Healthy One
Starting your day with a glass full of vitamins and minerals can only mean a great day ahead! For the perfect green smoothie, mix together:
- Half a ripe avocado.
- A handful of spinach leaves.
- Fresh pineapple chunks.
- Coconut water (or water if preferred).
- Handful of ice.
The Tutti Frutti One
While you may think of fruit smoothies as a ‘healthy’ treat, the high sugar content means they fall into a different and much more colourful category. To make a juicy, berry drink add together :
- A Handful of frozen raspberries, blackberries, and strawberries. (These fruits aren’t always in season, so be environmentally friendly and choose frozen fruits when they are out of season. As an added bonus it makes the smoothies ice cold for the warm weather!).
- 3 tablespoons of greek yoghurt.
- Decorate with oats and a handful of berries.
The ‘Gourmand’ One
Gourmand is the french word used to describe a ‘foodie’ – someone that loves rich, flavorsome and calorific treats. So if you fancy a cheeky treat:
- Crumble 2/3 cookies into the bottom of your smoothie maker.
- Add 3 scoops of vanilla ice cream.
- Add 50 ml milk.
Try some of our recipe ideas with one of our smoothie makers and let us know your opinion! If you have a favourite healthy smoothie, fruit smoothie or milkshake – share your recipe too with the IWOOT community in the comments box below!
Images Sourced from iStock