While I canâ€™t speak for the rest of the company, I am proud to admit that Iâ€™m a die hard playstation fan. Thereâ€™s very little that Microsoft can do to convince me to switch over to the Xbox, no matter how much the console drops in price or how many exclusive titles they manage to score. That is until I got wind of a juicy rumour being circulated by Engadget: the Xbox team are developing technology that allows you to control games with your whole body!
There arenâ€™t a lot of details, but engadget still seem to have a decent rundown of the controllers potential capabilities:
- Full body and hand gesture control of games / characters.
- In fighting games you kick, punch, duck, dive, jump and so forth with your body.
- It also picks up small hand gestures like pinching, grabbing and scrolling.
- There will also be video conferencing and games with video.
- Trivia game over the internet with live images of each person playing. When a question pops up, they can clap to buzz in.
- You can “move objects on your screen” and the other party can see what you’re doing in real time.
- Sensor detects only the person playing, not folks observing on the couch.
Itâ€™s going to be very interesting to see how Sony and Nintendo plan to match these plans. Anything short of full immersion involving some freaky matrix style isolation cube is probably going to fall way short of the mark. Until then the console wars shall rage on leaving nothing but satisfied gamers in its wake.