The Night of the Hunter Blu-ray
This visually ravishing, authentically terrifying Southern Gothic masterpiece is one of the cinema's great one-offs, not just because it was the only film directed by the actor Charles Laughton.
Robert Mitchum gives a career-best performance as Harry Powell, a self-appointed preacher with 'LOVE' and 'HATE' tattooed on his knuckles who travels to a small town in search of his executed cellmate's stash of cash, under the impression that his two young children know its whereabouts.
But the film's melodramatic plot plays second fiddle to some of the most extraordinary images ever captured on film. Laughton and cinematographer Stanley Cortez (The Magnificent Ambersons) imbue almost every shot with a luminosity that recalls the great silent masterpieces of F.W. Murnau and Victor Sjöström. A widely misunderstood flop at the time (which put Laughton off ever directing again), it's now regarded as one of the greatest of all American films.
- New digital transfer made from 35mm film elements restored by UCLA Film and Television Archive in cooperation with MGM Studios, with funding provided by the Film Foundation and Robert B. Strum
- Optional original uncompressed Mono PCM audio and 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio
- Isolated Music and Effects Soundtrack
- Charles Laughton Directs 'The Night of the Hunter' - A two-and-a-half-hour documentary on the making of the film featuring outtakes and behind-the-scenes footage
- Archival interview with cinematographer Stanley Cortez
- Original theatrical trailer
- Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly artwork by Graham Humphreys
- Booklet featuring new writing on the film by critic and filmmaker David Thompson with more to be announced!
Delivery & Returns
How long will it take to arrive?
Please check the stock availability notice on your item when placing your order. This item is: In stock | Usually dispatched within 24 hours
Please remember to add postal time (2-3 working days) to obtain a complete estimate of delivery to your door.
How will I know it has been sent?
You will receive an email to confirm when your item has been sent.
You can also check the status of your order and individual items by accessing My Account details and following the prompts.
Please allow 10 working days from dispatch of your order before notifying us of any late deliveries.
It may be advisable to check with your neighbours to see if a parcel has been left with them, check any outhouses you might have where it may be left if it cannot fit through your letterbox and contact your local sorting office to see if the item has been returned to the depot as undelivered and awaiting collection.
If I'm not completely happy with my item?
Please see our returns policy.
There are currently no reviews.