Dev Boro Dis Dium and welcome to Scent From Goa, our ninth stop on this Scent From scented candle box journey. Life in May is slightly slower in Goa where grains of white sand flow through hands like time through galaxies, like water from mountain highs down through Gaia’s arteries, those jade-like estuaries into the Arabian Sea. Daily highs of thirty-plus degrees mean that it’s typically easier to spend your daytimes here beneath trees in a hammock leafing through bestsellers and more difficult reads, lapping up the crystalline ocean breezes, sipping from coconuts dreaming of local specialities like xit koddi, or fish curry to you and me. The sun setting is a sunset no matter your circumstance, but in the hot, jasmine-tinted night, with your feet in the cooling sand, this one speaks to your soul. This is Scent From Goa.
A Taste of Goa
By the sea, Goa is known for its seafood dishes. The below from mangopicklechicago is a mouthwatering take on the spicy and salty Goan fish curry, xit koddi.
Trying to make ☀️linger longer in #chicago with today's special seafood #goancurry introduced for the first time on our menu! 🙏🏽Spring! #indianbistro #indianontheedge #edgewaterchicago #andersonvillechicago #indianfoodie #chifoodie #pauljohnwhisky #cashewfeni #spiritofindia #spiritofgoa #eattheworld
Goa by Number
- Coordinates: 15.2993°N; 74.1240°E
- Language: Konkani, Marathi, Hindi, English, Portuguese
- Religion: Hinduism
- Population: ~ 1.9 million
- Temperature: May is typically the hottest month, with average daily highs of 35°C
- Currency: Indian Rupee (INR)
- Popular music: Classical Indian and Portuguese, as well as, of course, Goa Trance! https://youtu.be/5ZwQe4N0bZ0?t=54m20s
What is in Scent From Goa?
- Come back in the third week of May when all will be revealed!