The hard part is over – exams passed, university place accepted, now students all around the country just have to get to get there, which strangely enough can be the most daunting part. Trying to fit what seems like your entire life into a car can be a worrying thought – but the IWOOT guide is here to help! We have created a list of university essentials that will help students settle in, make friends and enjoy their time away from home!
University halls can be quite frightening at first glance, bare and often decorated with curtains even your grandma would frown at. Make sure to take some cosy home comforts, not only to decorate the room nicely, but to make it a welcoming area, for studying, watching films with new flat mates and well, let’s face it – sleeping!
1. Invest in an Alarm Clock – late nights and early morning lectures don’t mix well. For those who are known for sleeping in and snoozing their alarm, try our Chrome Clocky, a clever little alarm clock gadget that will jump off bedside tables and run around the room until sleeping beauty does too!
2. Get cosy soft furnishings. It might seem far-fetched, but cushions and throws can instantly make a student bedroom the ‘go-to’ hang out room among new flat mates. Go for colourful, quirky styles, like our Ohh Deer collection, to brighten up your room at the same time – win-win!
3. Adding wall art to a student bedroom can help infuse fun or inspire great thinking but be very careful not to damage walls and the chance of getting a deposit back!
4. Get organised with study tools and desk gadgets – students are meant to study after all!
7. It might not seem like an essential but a laundry basket plays a huge role in keeping your room clean and tidy – it’ll save rummaging through a pile of clothes to find something for lectures/parties in a rush – a real life saver! This goes for all storage really, very useful for keeping everything packed up tightly and well organised – it doesn’t have to be boring either!
1. Taking a good selection of towels is very important – living on a budget means that washing machines will be used sparingly, so ensuring clean towels are always available means a clean student too!
2. Packing for an ensuite room or a shared bathroom? Either way toothbrush holders and cosmetics dividers will ensure your belongings stay clean and in the right place!
1. In self-catered halls make sure to take all the standard pieces of kitchen equipment, pots, pans, dining set, glasses, mugs and cutlery. Try and go for a unique design, that way it’ll be easier to keep track of belongings – have a look at our range, we have some fun and quirky kitchen accessories, perfect for university students.
2. Kettles, toasters and other kitchen gadgets are often supplied in halls – so just pack favourite gadgets to help with new found culinary freedom! Popcorn makers, cupcake gadgets and smoothie machines are all great for making new friends and treating yourself after a full day of lectures.
3. Dry food storage and freezer storage are both essential for keeping food fresh! At the start, it’s likely that students will be cooking only for themselves, so freezing meals and keeping supplies tightly sealed will be extremely useful for saving food and money too!
It’s likely that there wont be any space in the car for food, so going to a local supermarket on arrival means new flat mates can introduce themselves over a cup of tea and a biscuit too – so parents will be happy leaving, students will be happy staying and new friendships will be blossoming already.
Win a lovely Forba Linen ‘Home’ Cushion to make a new university room feel like home ! Whether you’re a parent or a student, tell us your top 5 university essentials in the comments box below – to be in with a chance of winning!
Standard Terms and Conditions apply.